Apart from having Lon Smith and team here, this week we also have had quite the new employee work-out. Dwight and I decided to look for an assistant for me, and started asking around the Christian community. Monday our first candidate came in to work, and all looked good until she turned in her first paper to me, and it was missing any form of punctuation! It was clear to me by mid-day that she wouldn’t work, but I struggled with how to tell her. Dwight wanted me to let her work the week anyway. Tuesday she called to say she couldn’t come in, and Wednesday her husband came in to let us know she wasn’t going to make it. Our next employee test-drive was Friday, and Miguel was scheduled to come in. He is a youth pastor locally and we have seen great things from him so I was excited, but when his work found out he was looking at another job, they gave him a big raise and a promotion, so he decided not even to come in. Our third try for the week is due in today, Mardi, from Obregon. She was one of our first choices, but we were concerned with the fact that she has a great job and lives 1 ½ hours away! She heard about the job and is excited and is planning on coming in today. I doubt she will make it because of the storm though.
Yes folks, we have another hurricane headed our way! It’s dark and windy outside, and hurricane ‘Norbert’ is on his way! This has our whole region scared, and many people in Huatabampo are literally panicking. Many canals broke down causing the flooding a few weeks ago, and we are not ready yet to handle a large dump of water. The city has been working non-stop on repairs, but there were too many spots to fix and too little time. Norbert looks like it will hit us as a full hurricane tomorrow. Dwight had water delivered yesterday, and we bought extra groceries to be ready to be stuck here again if that happens. All the outdoor furniture has been taken care of, and we are ready for the storm to hit. Many Christians are praying that it will not hit us at all!
And to top off the week… the new employee work-out, and the busy life with a Lon and team here, I managed to catch me a rip-roarin cold! Runny nose, cough, sweats, achy body, and the whole nine yards. Normally I don’t get sick much more than a day, but this beast started Tuesday, and I’m still a sight to behold! Hopefully I shake this thing soon and can get back up on my feet.
Despite all the commotion, German and I managed to get more done on the curriculum, and the main VBS lessons are getting translated into Spanish. Our new system includes me translating them audibly, and recording my voice on the laptop. He then listens to them and types them up, fixing the Spanish as he goes. So far, it’s working pretty good!
This next week I hope to work hard on the curriculum Mon-Wed, and then Thursday Dwight and I take off for Mazatlan on a vacation with Christopher and Diane Mock! Man, are we getting excited about this upcoming vacation!!! Maybe today I will work on Christmas presents since this is my last chance to send anything north without paying humongous shipping fees!
Hope you all have a great week!
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment