Greetings Everybody!!!
Well, we made it through the hurricane! The hardest part was living without power over the weekend. Man, am I addicted to electricity!!! I like the air-conditioning, the TV, the washing machine, my computer, the internet, um… clocks, the fridge, and the lists goes on. It was sooooo silent, like we were pushed back into the dark ages. We lit candles so we could maneuver at night and we slept with the windows open. It was hot and muggy.
The hurricane started rolling in Saturday and was like a normal windy March day. (Branches guys, remember that first day you were here? It was like that.) Then it started raining, and the wind just kept getting stronger. The power went out around 8pm on Saturday and the main hurricane hit us at 10:30. We couldn’t sleep with the noise, and opened the door to watch, and it was quite entertaining. Dwight loves storm watching! (I enjoyed it too. Why do we enjoy watching storms???) Then it just finished, and it was dead calm! It had built up all day, but was over within an hour!!! The rain was gone and everything! So all day Sunday we relaxed and read books (New ones thanks to Lon & Debbie Smith!!!) We missed our church since we didn’t have internet, and we didn’t have computers. I had wished I had downloaded some extra sermons before the power had gone out, and then we could have listened to them with the laptop battery. (Maybe next time.) Dwight went to town and bought some ice for our diet pepsi and other important fridge items. We reported our lack of power at the electrical company (they knew right away which gringos out at the ‘church’) and they promised to be out ‘right away’ to fix it. It turns out that the power came back on for everyone Sunday morning, and we had a fuse burn out on our pole. We waited all day, but they didn’t show. At night we went back to bug them, and that’s what it did. Well, with silence and heat on Saturday it was really hard to sleep… the heat, my cold still making me sniffle and cough all night, and to boot, I decided there was a mouse in my bedroom. (I still don’t know if that is true or not) I made dinner to candlelight, and we used a flashlight to make sure the meat was cooked all the way, then we had us a candlelight dinner.
I’d like to say that I was brave and slept in the heat again last night, but I couldn’t do it. I couldn’t deal with the pitch dark at 7pm… the mouse in my room, and no way to jump up in the middle of the night and turn on the lights… the sweating all night long… so I ASKED DWIGHT TO TAKE ME TO A HOTEL IN HUATABAMPO!!! Yes folks, we spent the night in town! (ha haha) Dwight left me there this morning, and started chasing down power trucks and guys to find someone willing to help us. He found some power company guys eating tacos at this great breakfast joint, and he gave them a $20 to come out and fix us! Dwight called me at 9:30 saying that we were back in business!!!
I now have a fresh reminder of what withdrawals feel like and I realize that I am addicted to electricity. I’m glad to be back to the real world!
Monday, October 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Yay! I'm so glad you're electricity is back and that you are both safe and sound. Sounds like quite the adventure. Nice to have a little tiny vacation in the midst of though, huh?
Post a Comment