Friday, December 04, 2009

Menudo

Its been quite a few years since I had to just smile and eat my least favorite meal in the whole world: MENUDO.
We finished the church service last night where Dwight preached, I translated, and we ministered at the altar for a while afterwards. Then came dinner.
Dwight looked like a chipmunk gnawing on the excesive amount of rubber-like substance in his mouth. I took smaller bites, since cow intestines are not my favorite food. It seemed like an eternity to get a bite swallowed. We chatted about their painful church split, trying to encourage them through the tough times. There were no napkins available to hide pre-chewed and disgarded chunks. My strategy was to work slowly; Dwight's was to just plow.

Then came my salvation! The pastor was informed that someone important outside didnt get any menudo, so he quickly stood and told us not to tell. He then proceeded to grab everyone's bowls at the table and combine them all into one! He tasted it with his wifes spoon, deemed it perfect, put the same spoon in the bowl, and ran it outside to his menudo-missing guest!
We continued to talk about more important matters, and waited till we were driving away in the bright blue astrovan to giggle about the dinner.
I was glad I had some gum in my purse for some fresh flavor. Alas I had no camera for the event, but I doubt I could have taken pictures and got away with it anyway.
I dont think you are a real missionary if you dont have to eat something you dont like with a smile once in a while. In a few months I will celebrate 10 years of full-time missions, and Dwight will celebrate 5 whole years!
Hopefully this experience will fulfil our MENUDO quota for some more years to come.

1 comment:

Laura BurgandyIce said...

Jajajajajajaja.... I'm so, so sorry.... it's so funny, so I can't stop laughing, but really, I'm sorry. At least it was YOU and not ME! jajajajajajaja

The wonderful host would be so happy to hear that you didn't tell any ONE person, just the whole world. jajajajajaja

But really... he was so conscientious of hosting well even in the midst of a meeting. I could learn some of that myself, although I'll pass on the Menudo recipe.